Charlie's Bluebird

I've been thinking of getting some new ink for awhile now, but since most of the others I have planned are going to require at least a few months of preparation, which means I'll not be starting on them till next year; and I don't want to rush into getting something that isn't what I'll keep on me for a long-term basis - as with most other things, I feel no qualms or regrets about zapping off those I don't feel fit me anymore - I've not really had much reason to swing by a studio until recently.


I read this poem by Charles Bukowski some time ago. Bluebird, that was the title. It resonated with me. It took up residence in my mind. The words tumbled around, echoed, and haunted me, along with the image of a bluebird, fluttering around in my consciousness.

The other tattoo projects I have lined up includes finally getting around to inking my full back-piece, in colour, which is something I've wanted to do, since almost a decade ago, and I've not changed my mind about that, so I guess I'll proceed with it once all the prep is completed. Anyway, I was amused to realise that this little bluebird would be the littlest, and the first of a lot of bird-themed tattoos to come.

I guess it pretty much sums up how my subconscious mind feels about things: I really want to fly. Feeling slightly stifled, so it's probably time to look into moving along into things I love and want to do.

Anyway I already had an idea how my bluebird would look. Initially I saw a more realistic rendering that I was quite taken with, but I quickly realised I would prefer a more sketch-style tattoo. Seems sort of apt for a literature-inspired piece. =)

I started shopping around for artists who could somehow come up with a design that could convey the jumble of ideas I had into something I would be satisfied with, just to find out that Arthur would be in town for a few days. I've been liking his new stuff a lot, especially some of the more sketchy tattoos, so it felt natural that I asked him to design mine.

He found an image of a bluebird which he thought was nice - we both agreed that the look of lively curiosity in its eyes was rather captivating. And thus the ink on my leg was done based on this photo:


"there's a bluebird in my heart that
wants to get out
but I'm too clever, I only let him out
at night sometimes
when everybody's asleep.
I say, I know that you're there,
so don't be
sad.
then I put him back,
but he's singing a little
in there, I haven't quite let him
die
and we sleep together like
that
with our
secret pact
and it's nice enough to
make a man
weep, but I don't
weep, do
you? "



I think he's beautiful, just like the poem that inspired him. =)

5 comments:

Coffee Girl said...

Lovely blue bird! i wonder if it has any spiritual meaning...

David said...

Irene, do think about how your ink will look 20, 30, and 40 years from now.

I know tatoos are very popular with self expression being the motivation. However that begs the question, is your body not the best it can be without such artwork?

David

CreativeBitchin said...

Dinah: thank you! No real spiritual significance, aside from symbolizing my need to be free :)

CreativeBitchin said...

David: not much difference, albeit a little faded with time as expected. Refer to this collection of images of senior citizens and their tattoos: http://imgur.com/gallery/3uv7k

Tattoos have existed for thousands of years. The fact the practice hasn't died out attests to the fact that there are many who disagree with you. In Sarawakian culture, tattoos feature strongly and the indigenous people here have a tradition of decorating their bodies with ink for various reasons, including aesthetics, and as a way to record and display events that have impact on their personal lives.

What is "best" is truly subjective. I have had ink for over 13 years and Charlie happens to the be 9th of my 10 tattoos, which might not be apparent in my postings - I don't exactly feel a need to advertise, because they are mostly very personal and done for myself, really.

Yes, I do believe that these things are not for everyone - and I would not impose my attitudes towards them on others, and I ask that you respect that we have differing views on the matter and leave it at that.

This is my body, my personal choice, and if I should change my mind about it, there is laser removal - which will also be a decision I make of my own prerogative. Although I can only foresee myself doing so just to clear up the canvas for some other more relevant piece =)

I choose to share bits of my life on this blog because I enjoy writing and posting images here - but it does not mean what I post here is the sum of who I am in my day to day life. You might just see the girl learning to cope with her disorder, or maybe the writer, but you don't see that I am also not exactly the most conventional of people out there, and do not see the need to be so.

Whilst I can't ask people not to judge me, I can point out that your values and sense of aesthetics are not mine, and no, I do not think that unmarked skin is better, or worse. It's like clothes - you wear what you feel suits you; I have no issue with another person's choices, as long as they do not affect me detrimentally.

Kolon Pasta Fan said...

Ha Ha I like that little spiky hair sticking out on the bird's head.